Structure of open boundaries

Thank you very much for your time!

Sorry for leaving this behind for such a long time… I guess you may have found a way out with this issue or do you still need help?

Hi Tomas

I would be definitely interested in a fix for NEMO4.0.7, I have tried to implement the NEMO4.2.1 solution as it is in TOP/trcbc.F90; I also have included the vertical interpolation switch (requiring a declaration of a logical in trc.F90), but I am getting odd segmentation fault crash with an ‘address not mapped to object address (nil)’ error, and a bunch of ocean.output_* files on tiles that seems to be along part of one of the boundaries.

Any help is appreciated!
Olivier

Hi Olivier,
given that back-porting is a rather complex issue, I should see the code changes you made to get an idea of which could be the part that generate the segmentation fault (maybe some declared variable that are not successfully allocated).
Are you using the official 4.0.7 tag or some other code branch? In addition to the code changes, the reference revision of the code would be a useful additional information.

Hi Tomas,

thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the late reply.
I seemed to have been able to mitigate the segfault cause, but we also had some issues on our clusters so it’s a bit difficult to tease apart the effect of my fix and the fix of our service desk.
Anyways at this juncture, the changes I made are only working for the 1st tracer I define in namelist_top_cfg.

I am getting a forrtl severe 66 error with the additional ‘output statement overflows record, unit -5, file Internal Formatted Write**’ when I turned on OBC for the second tracer. Initialization is working fine for an additional tracer. It crashes during the trc_bc initialization phase during or after reading namelist_top.

I am not allowed to attach any file here, but I can point at my gitlab repo (not sure how to make it accessible to you though) or you can upload them from my google drive repo. They are trc.F90 (I have also turned on the OBC-vertical-interpolation feature) and trcbc.F90 where I made most of the modifications.

Thanks for any help you may provide!
Cheers,
Olivier

Update Dec 8th 2023: my mod seems to work fine. I had to make sure the bdy files I was provided were just right.
I am moving on surface and lateral boundary conditions. Cheers!