Instability in the Indonesian Throughflow parameterization

Hi everyone,

I’ve found a grid-scale oscillation of the vertical diffusivity (Avt = kᵥ) and the stratification, due to the tidal mixing parameterization specific to the Indonesian Throughflow, from Koch-Larrouy et al (2007). This scheme sets the vertical structure of kᵥ to be proportional to N in locations where dN/dz < 0, or to N² where dN/dz > 0.

The cause: suppose we start with N nearly constant with depth. Then dN/dz changes signs often, leading to different kᵥ​ parameterizations in neighbouring grid cells, one of which produces large kᵥ​ and the other small kᵥ​. The large kᵥ​ tends to destratify, while high stratification is maintained where kᵥ​ is low. This causes dN/dz to alternate even more strongly in sign, creating a feedback.

Here’s an example cast:

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions on what to do about it?

My instinct is to use a modified version where I just make kᵥ proportional to N², not to N. I’ve tested this and it does eliminate the grid-scale oscillation.

Side point: I think the code determines the form of kᵥ at a W point based on dN/dz from the T point below the local kᵥ’s W point. Some method to estimate dN/dz at the same point as kᵥ would seem needed.

Thanks,
Geoff